Monday, February 10, 2014

Even you worst day can be one of your best runs

I haven't ran in over a week and was determined to get out and get some miles under my feet. I began to get ready this morning and could not find my shoes; only then did I remember that I had left them at my parents house when I had visited them a few days ago. The only shoes I had were an old pair of Nike Pegasus and I do mean old. I have been wearing Brooks for the last 4 years, so that tells you how old the Pegasus are, but I was more than determined to go run. I get in my car to drive to the park and my car in on empty. My day is just going downtown and it has barely begun. I make it to the gas station, fill up my car, and it is beginning to snow. I live in the south and we are very unprepared snow (AKA Atlanta). I then get in my car and begin to drive to the park and at this point I am thinking, I can just go home and run on the treadmill. No, I said to myself, you have pushed this off for too long and need to hit the road, plus I have a half marathon coming up in two weeks and I am way behind on my miles. I finally make it to the park and park my car and grab my cell phone, to hook up my headphones and listen to music while I run and my phone is about to die. My day could not get any worse. So I put on a brave face, zip up my heavy North Face jacket and begin my run. It's only 36 degrees, so I am not having to worry about ice or the snow sticking to the road. More than a mile in the snow begins to come down heavy, that wet snow where it seems like multiple flakes stuck together, and a smiles come across my face and it seems to be getting bigger and bigger. I even stick out my tongue and try to catch snowflakes in my mouth. Being from the south, we don't get snow very often and every once in awhile you have to step back and enjoy the little things in life. My day that start off rough, had a wonderful ending and I had a wonderful time running in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment